Thursday, January 12, 2012

No Modify? No Buy! >:( My personal pet peeve. And FASHION with SOPHIELLE!

During the last year it has become increasingly more 'fashionable' to put resizers (scripts that allow you to make an object bigger or smaller by clicking on it) into pretty much anything. Hell, there are even prim-mewmews out there that have resizers in there...I bet! While I don't wish to generally condemn resizers, I do think there are a couple of things creators should keep in mind.

Advantages of Resizers

Resizers do have a lot of advantages. They are comfortable, they are a nice service for those of us who cannot be bothered to resize a billion of tiny prims while their noses almost hit the screen. They make it easier. They make it quicker. They are especially helpful when an item consists of many, many (tiny) prims.

Disadvantages

However: Resizers should never ever replace a customers ability to modify an item themselves. Resizers do not replace full customization by the customer ever. Now I personally do not generally care when certain kinds of shoes, or ears are no mod, but I do very much care when entire outfits or even hairs are no mod. That is simply...extremely lame, to put it bluntly. Resizing is all nice and dandy, but in many, many cases you'll never get an outfit to perfectly fit just with those. You need to be able to adjust each prim on its own, change it's direction, it's distance or whatever. Resizers should be an additional service, no more, and no less.

Warning Spam??!!

Personally I absolutely loathe it when you rez an item, forgetting it is no mod and only has resizers, and it spams you and everyone around you with warnings about copybotting etc.pp. and how you'll be banned from a store. First of all: Making your stuff no mod does NOT safe you from copybotters. A good copybotter will copybot your no mod-resizeable stuff regardless within ~ 5 minutes. It is a flawed and frankly, a lazy argument. And it is bad customer care, too, to basically accuse someone of being a copybotter just because they rezzed your stuff. I will not name stores here, but a couple of wellknown ones do this. I find it distasteful. (Not to mention that some of those stores sooo eager to protect 'their' creations sell things, such as boots, that are made from prefabs for a price far, far too high (you can get the same boots for example for ~ 10 -100L WITH mod-permissions on the marketplace).)

Please, please, make them deleteable!

Also: IF you have resizers in your stuff, please, please, PLEASE make them deleteable. It is no fun to be forced to walk around with 600 resizers in your pretty elf-ears (yes, that happened to me) just because they are 1. no mod and 2. you cannot delete the damned scripts. The lag they cause can be massive and sometimes prevent you from teleporting. Also, and this might open some people's eyes: People won't buy your stuff anymore if those are not deletable because there is an incresing amount of sims who will eject (and sometimes even ban) you or simply won't let you get past a barrier if you wear to many scripts.

As you can see this topic can really get my feathers ruffled. I personally refuse to pay 2000L or more for an item that is no mod (unless it is a skin :P) and lags me to death with it's resizers. And if I delete them and ever happen to change my shape and forgot to make a copy...I flushed 2k Lindens down the toilet. Yay.

Copybotters will steal your stuff anyway!

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand a creator's desire to protect their stuff from asshats who steal their creations. I am super careful where and what I buy due to that and I am one of those odd people who actually file a complaint or warn creators when I spot something...obscure.. However, using a futile excuse such as "It prevents copybotters from botting my stuff." (which is simply...not true) to make your stuff no mod and offer such a bad attitude towards people who pay for it...no thanks. No need for that.

A little POLL:
[polldaddy poll=5836496]

And...since this is about a fashion, a random collaboration with SOPHIELLE! Yay, look at me as a strange gothic barbie! :P It obviously doesn't have much to do with role-play...or does it? She took the picture, too!


On Sophielle:

Hair: Burley (Bella Earst, NEW!!)
Skin - AlVulo! (Hlin Bluebird, old group gift!!)
Undershirt: Kyoot (Saeya Nyanda)
Bodysuit: Ooh la la (Nylon Pinkney)
Pants: Emery (Sunami Beck)
Shoes: Elikatira (Elikapeka Tiramisu)
Socks: Tokidoki (Maya Levane)
Necklace: Yummy (Polyester Partridge)
Necklace: Pididdle (Brutus Martinek)

On Arica:

Hair: LeLutka (Thora Charron)
Skin: Curio (Gala Phoenix)
Shape: selfmade (Not for sale)
Eyes: Eddesigns (Leeloo Milev)
Lashes: LeLutka
Make Up: Pink Fuel (Mochi Milena), BOOM (Aranel Ah), Actchio. (Silver Milneaux)
Blush: Bella di Notte (Jade Glazner)
Top: League (Nena Janus)
Skirt: Eleanor Rigby (Kyrsten Jigsaw)
Socks: Mocha (Flexagons Villota)
Shoes: GField (Cerberus Noel)
Bag: Veschi (Alla Ruff)
Bracelet: League
Necklace: League
Hairpiece: Miel (Mika Nieuport)

5 comments:

  1. No mod is absolutely no BUENO. There is one creator who's medieval fashions I love but I refuse to buy it because she uses resizers instead of allowing us to mod. So what happens when I try to adjust her work to my little fatvatar, I end up with a rediculously long item that sinks into most flooring on sims. *sigh*

    Resizers are fine but they need to be deletable and should not replace our ability to mod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we have the same creator in mind then. I refuse to buy anything but shoes there for that very same reason. And even with shoes I am reluctant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Sister!
    I refuse to buy things now that are resize script only. I'd go on, but you pretty much said it all in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Full agree. I have to admit I do buy no mod things, because I am an addict but 9 of 10 times, I hate myself for doing that after purchase.
    I try avoid buying no mod things, but sometimes... the "need that!"-side of me wins.

    Making things no mod because of the fear of getting them stolen is no help at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree...SOMETIMES my addiction gets the better of me and I buy something no mod, but usually I feel bad while doing so, so it rarely happens anymore. :/

    ReplyDelete